(May 20, 2020)—Every year, Engineering News-Record (ENR) rounds up the best-performing contractors of the year in its list of the Top 400 Contractors. Published annually in May, the list ranks the 400 general contractors, both publicly and privately held, based on construction contracting-specific revenue.
This year, despite unpredictability and sharp turns in the market, some larger contractors are still hanging tough. Here’s a quick recap of the top 10:
- BECHTEL, Reston, Virginia
- THE TURNER CORP., New York, New York
- AECOM, Los Angeles, California
- THE WHITING-TURNER CONTRACTING CO., Baltimore, Maryland
- KIEWIT CORP., Omaha, Nebraksa
- MCDERMOTT INTERNATIONAL, Houston, Texas
- STO BUILDING GROUP INC., New York, New York
- SKANSKA USA, New York, New York
- PCL CONSTRUCTION, Denver, Colorado
- GILBANE BUILDING CO., Providence, Rhode Island
- Fluor Corporation, ranked second on the list in 2019, did not make the list. Granite Construction is also not present, ranked twenty-fourth in 2019.
- McDermott International, based in Houston, Texas, climbed three spots from ninth to sixth from 2019 to 2020.
- STO Building Group Inc. also showed noticeable growth, climbing from fourteen to seventh year from 2019 to 2020.
- Skanska USA, PCL Construction, DPR Construction, Tutor Perini Corp., all dropped in ranking from their 2019 spots, but stayed in the Top 20.