Washington, D.C. (January 03, 2019)—The International Code Council extended the deadline for proposed changes to the 2019 Group B International Codes (I-Codes) to Monday, Jan. 14, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.
The I-Codes are a family of 15 coordinated, modern building-safety codes used throughout the world that protect against disasters like fires, weather-related events and structural collapses. The development of the 2021 I-Codes began in early 2018 with the code change proposals for the Group A codes. The entire code-development process takes place every 3 years and is open, transparent and inclusive.
Group B includes:
- Administrative chapters (chapter 1) for the I-Codes and their currently referenced standards
- Structural provisions in the International Building Code
- International Existing Building Code
- International Energy Conservation Code (commercial and residential)
- Building (chapters 1-10) and energy (chapter 11) provisions in the International Residential Code
- Chapter 1 of the International Green Construction Code
After the code change proposals are submitted, expert committees will review the proposed changes at the committee action hearings in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on April 28-May 8. The hearings offer code officials, architects, builders, engineers, designers, construction trade associations and other interested parties the opportunity to provide input on proposed code changes. The code council will release the hearing schedule on Tuesday, Feb. 19, and post proposed code changes on Monday, March 4.