Glendora, California (April 18, 2019)—CalPortlandhas announced its receipt of the 2019 Energy Star Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award for continued leadership and superior contributions to Energy Star. The company’s accomplishments were recognized by the Unites States Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy at a ceremony in Washington, D.C., April 11, 2019.
“CalPortland is honored to receive the 2019 Energy Star Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award," said CalPortland President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Allen Hamblen. “We take great pride in our partnership with Energy Star and are grateful to be recognized for the 15th consecutive year. This is a genuine tribute to the ongoing commitment of our employees and our company’s comprehensive energy management culture. We are always focused on optimizing energy efficiency, reducing emissions and actively protecting our environment. I am proud of the perseverance of the CalPortland employees who have developed a culture of excellence. These awards reflect our determination to continuously improve."
“I applaud the 2019 Energy Star Award Winners,” said Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Assistant Administrator for Air and Radiation Bill Wehrum. “Their innovation and leadership enhance America’s economic competitiveness. Reducing costly energy waste improves air quality and public health while protecting the environment.”
The highest honor among Energy Star Awards is the Energy Star Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence Award. EPA presents the Sustained Excellence Award to partners that have already received Energy Star Partner of the Year recognition for a minimum of two consecutive years and have gone above and beyond the criteria needed to qualify for recognition.
CalPortland has been an Energy Star Partner since 1996 and remains dedicated to demonstrating and promoting energy efficiency within the company and to other companies in the construction materials industry. The 2019 national award is the fifteenth consecutive ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award for CalPortland, a feat that has never been matched by any other industrial company.
In the past year, the company invested over $100 million to increase its operational efficiency producing an overall energy intensity improvement of over 2%.
Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Improved energy intensity by 17.5% and saved $123 million since 2003.
- Construction of a new finish mill at the Oro Grande cement plant to increase utilization and efficiency. (Most areas of the plant have been upgraded and optimized, including crushing, raw milling, kiln, finish grinding, transport and cement loadout.)
- Construction of two compressed natural gas (CNG) fueling stations to support CalPortland’s new fleet of 118 CNG “near zero emission” engine ready mix trucks.
- Leverage of the position of CalPortland’s CEO as chair of the Portland Cement Association to promote and support Energy Star throughout the construction material industry and mentoring more than 11 Energy Star industrial partners.
- Earning energy star certification for the seventh consecutive time for the Rillito Cement Plant and for the second time at the Oro Grande Cement Plant while concurrently accepting the “Energy Star Challenge for Industry” at six new plants and achieving the challenge at three plants.
- Promoting Energy Star through advertising, social media, community outreach, school events and magazine articles to directly reach over 113,000 people while generating approximately 59 million impressions.
For more information, visit calportland.com.